It’s a new year and around the world, people will begin making their New Year’s Resolutions. I don’t think I have ever really made a resolution; mostly because I know I won’t keep it. I’m sure that is the reason for making the declaration is so you will feel an obligation to keep your word. I don’t keep my word when I tell my doctor I will drink less soda or eat less fast food. Humans are creatures that like comfort and if that comfort comes from a place with golden arches then so be it. As I sat down to write this I began thinking of resolutions people usually make and never keep. Then I thought why not toss those out the window and set goals that are a bit more reachable. Then once a person feels comfortable shoot for the big stuff (no smoking, less drinking, better diet).
I started thinking of simpler things that a person could declare that was easier to reach and didn’t take all year to reach it. Don’t get me wrong I realize the whole point of setting a goal is to feel accomplished and be proud of what you have done. I am not great at reaching goals. It reminds me of when I was in school and I’m told I have to do it and now I don’t want to. Yes, it’s a childish mindset but it’s my mindset so there you have it.
I don’t think I am the only one out there that will agree that 2017 has not been a banner year not only in the United States but all around the world. As we move forward into 2018, I want to believe that it’s going to be a better year for all of us and things can turn around. So in thinking of a resolution, why not look for something small that is easy to give and doesn’t take much to do really. Maybe instead of setting a goal of spending less or eating less, a goal of being friendlier to your neighbor or a co-worker. Try working on a personality trait you have and making it better; such as saying Good Morning to people you pass on your way to your office or while taking out your trash if you aren’t a morning person. I know myself I don’t like to be spoken to in the mornings but I live with someone that is and I am not the most gracious person when I am pulled out of bed. It’s the small things that make others feel good and in by making them feel good, you benefit also. It sounds corny but a smile really does go a long way and can make a person receiving that smile feel good. I have listed a few ideas that are a small way to start off the New Year.
- greet people you pass by saying Hello, Good Morning, say it with a smile
- once a month go out to dinner or go get ice cream with your spouse when you get busy with kids sometimes we forget they are there and need attention as well
- ask a neighbor that obviously cannot care for their lawn if you can assist them in any way, just picking up leaves or wayward trash makes them feel better about their yard.
- If you know a friend/family that has just had a new baby offer to sit for mom while she showers or even naps, new babies can be a handful and extra hands are nice to have around.
- find a self-help video on YouTube for sign language or how to bake pies or anything you have wanted to try and just haven’t. It’s fun to watch the videos and hopefully you will have something extra to add to your book of knowledge.
The point of a resolution is not to resolve something of large portion it’s to set a goal and meet it. By meeting the goal you are therefore making yourself and others feel good which makes a good impact on those around you. We need more kindness in the world and sometimes a small gesture makes a big difference even if you aren’t recognized for it. It’s the feeling of doing good and spreading that to others around the world.